Saturday, June 18, 2011

What Happened?

Well, things were going along so well, on Wednesday and Thursday my slacks felt loose, surely a sign that my weight was heading in the right direction. On Wednesday I did a cardio workout on the Arc Trainer at lunch and Thursday I did an upper body weight workout. I was pretty confident that my weight would be at least a pound lower when I stepped on the scale on Friday morning.  Wrong!!!

On Friday, I got up and went right to the scale and as noted in the column to the right, it read a full 5 pounds heavier than the week before. Not only that, it was just 2 weeks earlier that I set a goal of keeping my weight in a range of 165 to 183 for the next 12 months and here I am at 183.8, out of my goal range already with 50 more weeks to go.

Well, these things happen, I have learned that success is not determined by what I do when things are going my way, it is dependent on the actions taken when things are going against my wishes. 

First let’s look at the numbers to try to figure out what happened. On June 10th, I weighed 178.8 lbs with 17.7% body fat or 31.65 lbs of fat. Though not reported to the right, on that day my body water percentage was 52.8 % or 94.41 lbs. On June 17th I weighed 183.8 lbs with 16% body fat or 29.41 lbs of fat. On the 17th my body water percentage was 54 or 99.25 lbs. So if my Tanita body composition scale is to be believed, I actually lost fat during the week but for some reason had nearly 5 more pounds of water as part of my body weight.

As I have said previously, I believe my biggest food issue these days is night snacking. I now have to wonder if the bag of pretzels I got into at 10PM on Thursday night might have had an effect on the percentage of water in my body on Friday morning. What do you think? I say likely so.

I was thinking about this on my bike ride home from work on Friday and think I need to stick more diligently to my food plan during the work week. That means if I do snack in the evening to do so on foods acceptable to my food plan. I can then let up a little on the weekend when we dine out some.

Additionally, I know that my weight will fluctuate some from week to week.  If my weight does bump up I try to figure out why and then make sure it does not happen 2, 3 or 4 weeks in a row.

No comments: