Saturday, July 9, 2011

Insidious bad doctoring…….

Well, I learned this week that a bad doctor is a lot harder to spot than a bad haircut. I know, with my hair line, you would think anything would be harder to spot than a bad haircut.

Debbie is now recovering from an overdose of a very toxic drug. She has been on this medication for 12 years and all of a sudden, due to a flare up of some symptoms, a doctor suggested at his 1st meeting with her that she double the dose of this medication.  It took us almost a month to figure out the problem and we have now located a new doctor that we hope to have more success with.

As noted to the right, my weight on Friday morning was up a little over a half a pound from the week prior. I did not log my food intake on calorie king and my only workout was on Thursday at noon. With all the other worry, I was just happy to get through the week without a large loss or gain. I intend to get right back on my program tomorrow morning. I will make an effort to keep a fairly complete log of my food intake for the week and get several workouts in.

A number of years ago an exercise physiologist friend of mine said “if you want to stay healthy, stay away from doctors”. At the time I thought it was a fairly strange thing to say but over the years I have come to appreciate the comment. I now know that the real essence of the comment was that I need to make healthy lifestyle choices that help me avoid as many preventable illnesses as possible. Of course, after I quit smoking, the number one thing I can do to avoid doctors is maintain a healthy weight.  I know this from experience because in the past, when my body weight would go up, I would start having problems with blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

So the battle rages on. While the scale in my bathroom is a worthy adversary, I shall not be deterred. I will get up tomorrow morning and start anew. I will make an effort to keep an accurate record of my food consumption on Calorie King because I know it helps me control my calorie consumption. I will also make an effort to get some exercise 4 or 5 days of the week because it makes me feel better, I enjoy it and it is FUN.

No comments: