Saturday, May 26, 2012

On Vacation

I weighed myself on a Saturday this week because this is the last full day before the start of our vacation. As you can see from the weigh in information on the right, at 160.8 pounds, I am very near the bottom of my 160 to 165 goal range.

While on vacation we will be traveling to Indiana and eating mostly in restaurants over the next two weeks. We will be able to visit many familiar restaurants where we have an idea of what we might eat that will fit into our respective food programs. We will also visit some restaurants that we have not dined at in the past and have the opportunity to try things from their menus that sound interesting. I am especially looking forward to The Mark Dine & Tap and Aladdin's Eatery in South Bend.  To those of you surprised by my interest in Aladdin's, I am very interested in the options they offer with plant based protein.

While in central Indiana I will celebrate my upcoming birthday with my twin. She has arranged for us to have possibly the best birthday cake ever. She's good at that, very good. I will eat cake and very likely enjoy it. I plan to have some generous servings of ice cream with it as well. Actually, I plan to enjoy all my meals. I usually do. However, for the next 2 weeks, I am on vacation. I am going to relax, try to get caught up on my reading and try to sleep in some.

At the beginning of this month I shared a frozen dessert recipe from Dr. Andrew Weil's Natural Health, Natural Medicine. As I read further during the month I came across what he calls his 5 word diet advice. "Eat less and exercise more"  While this is great advice for probably 90 percent or more of our population, I found it to be a little over simplified as nutrition advice. First off, I really don't like to use the word "diet" when referring to a food plan. I have heard it said that "diets are like horses, people get on them and get off them" Secondly, I think a lot of people just don't realize how our food supply has changed over the past 40 to 50 years and how damaging added sweeteners and specifically High Fructose Corn Syrup can be to the health of humans.

So my next weigh in will be Monday June 11th. I will try to post to this blog shortly thereafter. Hopefully my weight will not exceed the top of my goal range. 






No comments: